A fellow blogger once recently wrote that revealed secrets are one of their favorite topics to read about. Everyone has secrets and they can often times provide you with a lot of insight into who someone is at their core. So I’ve compiled a list of 15 different secrets, confessions, or little tidbits maybe you don’t know about me.
Maybe you’ll head to the comment section below and tell me some interesting things about you as well?
Here we go:
- Contrary to what seems to be popular belief, I’m not always a terribly nice person. When outside influences start to disrupt my normal, everyday life, I get a little cranky about it and sometimes like to make it very well-known. There are a handful of people out there that will be happy to share very unkind words about me for those that still doubt it.
- In my early teen years, I was 100% convinced that I was going to audition to be one of the seven strangers on MTV’s The Real World once I was old enough. Granted this was back before the show was just about seven people getting drunk and partying for six months and was more of a social experiment at the time, but it’s still kind of a crazy thing to think about and something that I’m very glad never came to pass in retrospect!
- When I was in high school, I shadowed a portrait photographer with a fellow classmate. He wound up spending a majority of the time taking photos of us and invited us to come back and participate in a photoshoot for our local Old Navy store. In retrospect, I’m very glad that this also didn’t come to pass. The experience is actually a little creepy to think about now. And also kind of comical because nobody should want me in their photos!
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer is my favorite television show of all-time. When I tell people this, they either laugh at me or passionately express to me how much they love it too. People that do the latter are my tribe and I cherish them. In spite of the silly title and premise, I urge you to watch Buffy if you never have. You can do so on both Netflix and Hulu!
- I love TV. Not just because I grew up with it, but also because serialized storytelling is my favorite medium of entertainment. I love being able to check back in and see where my favorite fictional characters and universes have gone. Novels and movies with multiple installments tend to attract me more than standalone stories do, too. My pipe dream for several years has even been to write for television. It’ll never happen, but it’s a fun dream!
- I’m kind of a nerd and really enjoy learning new things. I think this is the reason why the different jobs I’ve worked at over the years have all been in pretty diverse industries (I’ve worked in entertainment, food service, retail, shipping, and now in a semi-medical office environment) and why I’m strongly considering going back to school soon. The only issue is that I still don’t know, at 31, what I would focus my education on. I’m personally really leaning towards Liberal Arts but that really strikes me as one of those degrees that proves kind of futile in the working world later on…
- You might have heard or read that I’m the father of an adult cat Tigger and my kitten Rufus about a thousand times in passing. I also used to have Oliver, another kitten and brother to Rufus, but he sadly passed away at about 3 months old after contracting a fatal virus called FeLV (or feline leukemia). Though I only have the two cats here at home, I have a heart for all animals and would totally pull a Noah and collect two of everything if I had the time and money to care for them all! I think animals are precious, that this is their world and their life as well, and that we should protect them and not exploit them for their resources.
- I’m newly vegetarian! The reason for this directly relates back to #7, since I’ll sometimes encounter people who will think I’ve stopped eating meat for health reasons when really the health benefits were something that occurred to me as being a bonus after I had already stopped! I haven’t gone full-on vegan (yet?) because cheese is probably my favorite food in the entire world but I’m trying to make strides in my own personal life to where I’m reducing my own impact on animal suffering. My next project is to start eliminating products in my life that are tested on lab animals, too!
- I really enjoy traveling but I have never been outside of the United States (though I would love the opportunity to!). That being said, I have been to a variety of awesome cities within the U.S. including but not limited to: Phoenix, Las Vegas, Denver, Wichita, Tulsa, Omaha, St. Louis, Kansas City, Des Moines, Chicago, Madison, Milwaukee, Louisville, Nashville, Atlanta, and Orlando. And of course, I live here in Indianapolis. One of these days I really need to make it to Los Angeles or New York too. If only because the people that live there tend to think it’s the only place that exists!
- I love WordPress! I’m still kind of a novice when it comes to really getting into the nitty gritty “code is poetry” community of it all, but I love building and publishing and playing with it all. If you haven’t been to my proper geek-centric website yet, what are you waiting for?
- I’m currently toying with reviving the idea of a podcast that I had a while ago but eventually scrapped in lieu of launching my website. I think it would be a lot of fun and a cool way to both add original content and include some of my friends and family that have lived some pretty incredible and fascinating lives. My only real hesitation is my lack of any audio editing or engineering knowledge. (If you would ever be interested in helping, participating, or being interviewed for something like that, please let me know!)
- Expanding on the foundation of my being a big nerd, I sometimes play World of Warcraft! I’m not great at it and I honestly don’t really play it nearly as often as my siblings would probably like, but my entire family (even my dad, who usually serves as our tank!) are big fans of the Warcraft universe, so we’ll occasionally play together as sort of a modern-day, long-distance spin on family game night. You can check out all my game stats here! If you’ve ever watched the web series The Guild, our family is sometimes a little like that, only we’re all related!
- I love music of all different kinds. Even though I’m not really a “general admission” type anymore (because the idea of standing for three or four hours while other people dance or mosh or push you around just doesn’t appeal to me like it used to), I really love seeing great live music too. In case you missed my video from the event, my most recent concert was Garbage, which was a dream come true (Shirley Manson is an absolute delight). In the past, I’ve also seen Fitz and the Tantrums, Scars on 45, No Doubt, Blink-182, Dashboard Confessional, New Found Glory, Paramore, Tyler Hilton, Kings of Leon, Tony Lucca, Kacey Musgraves and plenty of others that I’m sure I’m forgetting! I would really one day love to see one of my personal favorites, The Killers, play live too!
- I don’t really like going out and getting drunk anymore. I’ve found that some people are surprised by this fact since I was really into drinking and trying different alcohol when I was younger, in my early 20s especially. I think I was more obsessed with the fact that I could drink and live that “lifestyle” than I was actually drinking. Alcohol gives me a headache more often than not, and that’s without even drinking that much of it. I still enjoy having a beer or a glass of wine or mixed drink every once in a while, especially when I’m out with some friends or something, but for the most part I would rather just drink something else. I would also rather just stay home all weekend and watch Netflix and play with my cats. This could just be growing up too, I guess.
- I’m legitimately more impressed with people who are smart or funny than I am with those that are rich or have good looks. I think most people would probably say this about themselves to look like a better person too, but I really do think having a personality and being smart and witty is infinitely more appealing than someone who just wants to look good or get a bunch of attention all the time. I would definitely be into an Emma Stone or an Anna Kendrick before I would be into a Kristen Stewart or a Lindsay Lohan!
And that’s a wrap. Now sound off and tell me all your secrets below!Tags: blogging confessions facts information knowledge life secrets